Quality Oscar de la Renta Wedding Dresses
Since Oscar de la Renta’s death last Monday, hundreds of celebrities have commented on how kind and talented he was to work with. Famous for designing for first ladies and celebrities, Oscar de la Renta’s goal was always for a woman to feel and look beautiful. Known for designing both day time and evening wear, Oscar’s bridal line is known for it’s quality fabrics, gorgeous designs, and it has a timeless quality that only someone with his experience could capture.
It is no surprise, therefore, that after establishing his excellent reputation, many celebrities have also chosen to have him design their wedding dresses.
Celebrities in Oscar de la Renta
1. Amal Alamuddin’s marriage to George Clooney last month would be the last time a celebrity bride wore Oscar de la Renta during Oscar’s lifetime. The dress is an off-the-shoulder ivory lace gown with pearls and diamante stone embroidery.
“Any girl from any walk of life dreams of that special dress, and I try to make that dream a reality for her”, said Oscar during an interview with Vogue.
2. When landscape artist Miranda Brooks got engaged, she chose Oscar, her long-time friend, to design the wedding dress. Brooks worked with Oscar on a dress inspired by Sofia Coppola’s Marie Antoinette. The wedding dress is covered in elaborate pintucks and ruffles. Oscar sent the large bustled overskirt to India where it was embroidered with poppies and violets.
3. When aide to Hilary Clinton, Huma Abedin, and former U.S. representative Anthony Weiner married in 2010, in only made sense that she would wear Oscar de la Renta. After all, the former Secretary of State and first lady has a long friendship with Oscar. She and Bill Clinton had even been invited to vacation with Oscar and his wife.
Abedin felt that Oscar would make her “look like an Indian bride.” Abedin told Vogue that she wanted the dress to “complement a jeweled choker that belonged” to her grandmother. Abedin’s mother and sisters had each worn the same choker. Oscar described dressing Abedin as “like dressing Scheherazade, the beautiful queen from One Thousand and One Nights.”
4. Just as Hilary Clinton has worn Oscar de la Renta for years, so has other first lady, Laura Bush. So when Jenna Bush got engaged to Henry Hager, Oscar was the perfect choice. She told TODAY that he was “one of the most kind, talented and irreverent gentlemen I’ve ever known.”
Jenna Bush recalled that when she walked into his studio, Oscar showed her the wedding dress he thought she should wear. And he was right. In 2008, Jenna walked down the aisle accompanied by her father, wearing that same dress.
The dress is now on display at the The Bush Center in Dallas
5. Last year, Kate Bosworth married director Michael Polish wearing an Oscar de la Renta wedding dress. The simple ivory ball gown was created for the actress. The dress was coupled with a 8-foot long and 16-foot wide train.
Vogue reports that Oscar de la Renta’s funeral will be held on November 3rd at the Church of St. Ignatius Loyola at Park Avenue in Manhattan. It will be held for family and close friends.
Heritage Garment Preservation’s Experience with Oscar de la Renta
Our co-owner, Carmina West, has experienced that Oscar’s fabrics and designs are always reminiscent of Hollywood glamour. They are very feminine, delicate fabrics, accentuating the figure. His dresses are all made with top notch quality of fabric and manufacturing. Most embellishments are the design itself.
Earlier year, we had a client who sent her Oscar de la Renta silk organza dress all the way from Australia. The dress was damaged by a local dry-cleaning and she was desperate to salvage the dress. We restored the dress with great results.
For more great photos and interesting information, check these out:
Designer of the present-day cub scout uniform
First Ladies Wearing Oscar de la Renta
Twenty-five Oscar de la Renta quotes
Celebrities wearing Oscar de la Renta at awards shows
Oscar’s family, education and professional background